The Cricket Association of Nepal (CAN) has given approval to the Zohra Sports Management (ZSM) Wai Wai Nepal Premier League (NPL) providing the tournament with TU cricket grounds and match officials.
The decision, made on Wednesday, was a u-turn over their take on the tournament that features six corporate franchises led by national team cricketers. CAN had said on March 20 that it is not aware of the NPL and is not supporting the tournament.
After the nod from the cricket governing body, NPL is now set to kick off from April 13-22 at the TU Stadium where top umpires from the country will conduct the tournament. CAN Acting President Deepak Koirala had said that CAN is not supporting the tournament and will prepare to host a Nepal Premier League of its own according to the directive from the ACC and ICC.
But in a statement issued on Thursday read: “Zohra Sports Management will be the sole organiser of the NPL and CAN will have no financial and administrative responsibility towards the event. CAN has no objection over the participation of players and officials involved in the tournament and provides the TU grounds as per the demand from the organisers.”
“The Association believes the NPL will be helpful in bringing professionalism in cricket and find young and budding talents of the game,” the statement further read.
Know the captains of NPL Franchise
1. Tej– Panchakanya Group (Captain: Sharad Vesawkar)
2. Colors X Factors – Teletalk Pvt Ltd (Captain: Gyanendra Malla)
3. Vishal Group Warriors – Vishal Group (Captain: Paras Khadka)
4. Kantipur Gurkhas – Kantipur Publications (Captain: Basanta Regmi)
5. Jagdamba Giants – Shanker Group (Captain: Shakti Gauchan)
6. Sagarmatha Legends – Ghorahi Cement (Captain: Binod Bhandari)